Saturday, June 23, 2007

Calton Hill

"The Presentation Seat Programme was set up by The Corporation of The City of Edinburgh after World War II. Sir William Y. Darling, the war-time Lord Provost, presented the first bench in memory of his uncle, Dr. Alexander Darling. It was placed on the South side of Princes Street opposite his shop at 124 Princes Street.

The example set by Sir William Darling was to encourage fellow shopkeepers and businesses to donate seats opposite their premises and a campaign was started "Seats for Citizens" to improve seating on Princes Street. "

source: http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/

Beautiful poem by the way. This was found at Calton Hill, on our second walk there. However, was somewhat tainted by a rather creepy guy wearing tight Nike spandex who made several rounds back to where we were. He was smiling creepily too, which has forced us to make haste. All this took place while we were walking towards that somewhat isolated corner, which we thought promised us with a little privacy and well, today, with its share of creepy looking fella. While we were making our way, I kept in sight a Border Collie bobbing about at the corner of my eye. My fascination with four legged furballs have yet to cease. As we turned the corner, we ran into the Border Collie which was equally surprised. Why does it had to be at that corner?! I was expecting it to bob out into view a little sooner than that, but no..... and you know poor me, who scares easily, let out a tiny squeal at the sight of it.

We walked around and took some shots of each other. And of course, of the panoramic view of the city from a high place. Lol. How many places you know in Malaysia have such space to for such breathtaking views?

Coming around the hill, we saw a really huge pillared remain, Edinburgh's Folly. According to my camwhoring buddy, Edinburgers (obviously not what they call themselves) wanted to build something like the pantheon but halfway through due to obvious bad planning...they ran out of money. That's why its left there to remind the people of Edinburgh not to be so foolish. There was no feasible way to go up for the purpose of indulging in our camwhoring pleasures on those few slab of stones...saw some youngsters up there though, who did made it up. I could have made it up, since I'm rather tall myself, ahem, or so I believed...unfortunately, I'm of a soul who needed much encouragement which was not fed to its justice by my other camwhoring buddy.

And of course, IF those youngsters weren't there to see me struggle my limbs, pathetically, onto what can only be known as a folly slab of stone anyways. =P

No comments: