Thursday, December 15, 2005

20 cents

I found a Malaysian 20 cent coin the other day, cast in the year 2005. I happened to be rumaging about my bag for a stubborn something and this found its way into my hand. I must say when I realised what it was, a protracted sense of expectancy followed. Nothing save for the world went by for a few seconds : )

I was reminded of a film I once saw on the rather fascinating view of time-travel. A man convinced himself or rather the past convinced him that he had indeed went back in time and hence... went about doing exactly that. To cut a long story short it was a tragic earthly ending but otherwise vaguely not so. The beauty of the concept was that it was a continuous loop of events, there is no exact beginning or an end, the past determined the future and in the case of the show, the future determined the past...I'm not making much sense I'm sure.

And how does this relate to the 20 cent coin? Well, in the show, the catch of the whole going-back-in-time business was to be in a frame of mind of the past. So reminders, like dress style, hair style, basically everything that was of style in the present had to be gotten rid off and suitably replaced. As chance would have it (more like sadistic screen-writing determined to hack off too happy an ending) our leading man carried an 'in style' coin of sorts. He was promptly propelled back to the future and to a point of no return (the mind is a tetchy thing).

The summary of this whole fiasco of a post...? I wish this world were smaller or perhaps the scientists a lot smarter and I mean a LOT smarter for what I have in mind ; )