Monday, March 10, 2008

These tiny feet

What a relief it was
Especially to those who are under constant anxiety
Now the tension in the room has been broken


A cry of innocence, so heavenly and majestic
Was it from the first time you saw the blinding light in the OT?
Or the fact you have been torn from the cozy refuge which has been your home for close to 9 months

Your skin so soft and frail
Softer than any texture that I've set my hands on
Was afraid I might tear your tissues or uncompleted muscle formation using my coarse hands
Your bones are still in dire need of calcium
And in that moment, I can't imagine
How some of us can choose to abort such frailty in that moment of weakness
Using tools which can only be categorised as inhumane!

I continue to wonder how it is like to be a newborn
New and fresh to a world
Uncertain.. whether the journey will be a wonderful and worthwhile one

No comments: